Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Love that top down control

Now I'm really steamed. I read a report in the local paper that some university in Colorado instituted a "no concealed weapons on campus" policy. Now, I'm not a gun nut; don't own a single assault weapon, but the whole tenor of the thing bothers me, for a couple of reasons.
First, what is it about liberals that they don't want people to be able to defend themselves? The reasons they give are pathetic. One is, "The police are there to protect you." That's false on two counts (Oh, oh, I'm getting buried in lists here). The first reason it's false is that, legally, the police are not, in fact, there to protect you. Oh, sure, they will if it happens to be convenient, but if they were really legally required to protect us, we could sue if they don't. If you don't believe me, just ask a jurist who will be honest with you. The second reason it's false is because they just aren't there to protect you most of the time. They're out giving tickets or eating doughnuts. You're on your own.
The second reason liberals give for taking away our means of protecting us is the old, "You can't take the law into your own hands," argument. Actually, we can. The law provides that we can use even deadly force to protect ourselves and those close to us.
Second reason I'm steamed: The university is both targeting the wrong folk and exposing them to danger. A "no gun" zone is, as I've mentioned before, a huge flashing sign to nutcases that says, "C'mon in with your AK47. There's no opposition. Shoot at will for 15 or 20 minutes until the fuzz get organized." (A cop told me that one) And, the argument that regular people with guns will shoot up the place is ludicrous. In my town, every tenth person carries a concealed weapon, and no one knows who is packing and who is not. Those people who have gone to the trouble of learning the laws of weapons and have qualified at the shooting range and the least likely to fire a shot in anger.
But reality has never made much of an impact on political stances.

2 comments:

JBinford-Bell said...

Since I am a liberal that does own guns and sees no conflict with that may I point out here that the key in this or almost any weapons law is the word concealed.

Here in New Mexico it is perfectly legal to wear you guns on your hips like our frontier ancestors. This came out when their was a real stink over the concealed carry permit being an infringement of our right to carry guns and the state constitution's statement that the right cannot be infringed upon.

I clarified the law when I had a stalker and was told that as long as the gun was visible no problem. Banks are not exactly fond of the practice.

So everyone on Colorado campuses just needs to start wearing holsters slung low like in High Noon. Hey, it is a fashion statement as well as our right.

On both your houses said...

I like it: guns as fashion statement. A nice suede holster with a filagree S&W. In my state, you can carry a concealed weapon, but woe unto you if it shows, since that can be interpreted as "brandishing a firearm."